Frequently Asked Questions
For Program & Eligibility Information, visit the FAQ on Office.com
How do I download a backup copy of my Microsoft Office 2010 product?
- Locate your 25 character Product Key found in your product package or confirmation email. You must have a valid, activated Office 2010 Product Key to install and activate your downloaded software.
- Go to www.office.com/backup
- Click the Start button
- When prompted, enter your 25 character Product Key and follow the online instructions.
- Select to download your software or order a DVD. If you order a DVD a fee will apply.
- When prompted enter your Windows Live ID or create a new Windows Live ID account.
- Once you complete the process you will be presented with a link to download your software. You will also receive a confirmation email with a link to the download if you prefer to wait and download at a later time.
- When prompted click the “DOWNLOAD NOW” button to start the download process.
- Save the file to your desktop. Do not change the file name.
- Once downloaded to your computer, click the file icon on your desktop to install your software.
- Open Microsoft Office. To open, go to Windows Start, All Programs, Microsoft Office, Microsoft Word (or other Office application). Note: If you did not opt to have automatic activation during the setup process you will need to activate your software. If so, enter your Product Key when prompted and follow the on-screen instructions to activate Office.
How long does it take to download Microsoft Office 2010?
- Download times vary by location and internet speed connection. It is recommended only high-speed broadband connections are used to download your file(s). The following are estimates of how long it will take for each file to download depending on your connection speed.
Home and Business
What is Click-to-Run?
- Click to Run is a new way to download and install Microsoft Office which uses virtualization to allow you to use your Office program as they are streamed and cached to your computer. Click to Run is automatically used if your connection speed meets the connection speed minimums.
Where do I download the file to?
- We recommend that you download the file to your Desktop, so it is easy to find to initiate the installation. You can download the file anywhere you like, just make sure that you remember the location where you saved it, and the name of the file. Do not rename the file that you are downloading; it may cause installation problems.
What will happen when I download?
- Once the download starts, you will see a box pop up with a status bar, and a percentage that will climb to 100%.
What happens after I download?
- After the download has completed, go to the location that you saved the file at and double click on the new icon to start the installation.
I am having trouble downloading, what else should I do?
- Some pop up blocker and firewall programs, as well as Proxy servers, may prevent communication with our server. If you utilize these types of applications, you may need to disable them. Please check your system for and disable any of the following and remember to turn them back on when you’re done:
Firewall - These are designed to stop downloads from non-approved sites.
Anti Virus Programs - These will try to stop or scan a download. It may cause the download to be corrupt or damaged.
Download Monitors - Programs such as GoZilla! and NetZip are not compatible with our server and will sometimes block or stop downloads.
Screen Savers - In some instances, screen savers can interfere with the download process. If you have a screen saver that is starting while you are downloading, please disable it temporarily until your download is complete.
If you require assistance disabling any of the products noted, please contact the manufacturer’s technical support.
What if the download stops or is interrupted before it is complete?
- If you become disconnected while files are being downloaded through your web browser, reconnect to the internet and retry your download.
If you become disconnected during a background Click-to-Run download and installation, simply reconnect to the internet and your download will continue in the background.
Why does Microsoft PowerPoint launch once I download Office 2010?
- Once enough of Microsoft Office has been streamed to your computer in a Click-to-Run installation, PowerPoint is launched to demonstrate that it and other Office programs are ready to be used, while the steaming process completes in the background.
I downloaded Office 2010; where do I find it?
- The file is typically saved to your desktop. However, the best way to know where your download saved is to pay close attention to the "Save As" window at the beginning of the download process. Once you have clicked the download button and selected the option to save the file, you will be given the "Save As" window, which shows you exactly where your download is being saved to on your computer.
- If you know the filename, you can do a search on your computer for it.
- Do not rename the file you're downloading, it may cause installation problems.
How do I install the software?
- After the download has completed, go to the location that you saved the file at and double click on the new icon to start the installation. Run setup and follow the onscreen instructions. If you initially selected “Install Now” or “Run,” the file will automatically start installing after the download is complete.
Do I need to uninstall previous versions of Office?
- It is not required to uninstall previous versions, such as Office 2007 or 2003 before installing Office 2010. Office 2010 Beta will need to be uninstalled to use the Office 2010 Trial or Office 2010 full product. If you install one language of Office 2010 Trial and want to convert to a different version of Office 2010 full product, the Office 2010 Trial will also need to be uninstalled.
What should I do if I receive an error, “To install and use this product, you must be running one of the following operating systems”?
If you have received this installation error, please use these step by step instructions here.
Why is my Office product opening in a language different than the one I downloaded?
- If you have an Office 2010 product already installed in a language other than the one in which you are downloading, please note that your new download may open in the previously installed language. For example, if you have Office Professional installed in English, and then you download and install Office Home & Business in Swedish, your Office Home and Business applications will default to open in English.
To change the language settings for Office 2010, you can go to Start, Programs, MS Office Home & Business/Student, Tools, Language Preferences.
Why do I see Microsoft Office listed multiple times in the Start Menu?
- The Microsoft Office 2010 entry in the Start Menu is actually a setup utility to install Microsoft Office Starter 2010 or to activate a purchased version of Microsoft Office 2010. If you have already purchased or downloaded a free trial and have already installed Microsoft Office 2010, then you can ignore the “Microsoft Office 2010” entry in the start menu. To start your Office applications, you need to click on Start, then All Programs,then click on the Microsoft Office folder, and then click on the Office application you want to launch.
Why are my purchased products showing as a Trial?
- If you installed the Microsoft Office 2010 Home and Student suite or the Microsoft Office 2010 Home and Business suite, the check box for including a free trial of Microsoft Office Professional 2010 may have been selected. To learn more, please visit: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2292661.
Which software does Microsoft’s Product Key Card Terms apply to?
- If your license designation is “PKC,” use of the software downloaded from this site is governed by the “Product Key Card” terms of the Microsoft Software License Agreement and the first clause of that agreement is amended to read as follows:
These license terms are an agreement between Microsoft Corporation (or based on where you live, one of its affiliates) and you. Please read them. They apply to the software (i) which is downloaded from this site and (ii) which is named on the PRODUCT KEY CARD you have purchased.
Product Keys & Product Activation
What is a Product Key?
- A Product Key is a 25-character code that comes with Microsoft Office 2010. The Product Key allows you to install and activate Office 2010 on your PC.
Where do I find my Office 2010 Product Key?
- Your Product Key is 25 characters and is found in different locations depending on how you acquired Office 2010.
If you purchased Office on a traditional disc the Product Key should be located inside the package on a label on the card opposite the disc holder on the left side of the DVD case.
If you purchased an Office Product Key Card the Product Key should be located inside the package on a label on the left side of the case.
If the Product Key is not inside the package please review the instructions in the package. You may be required to retrieve your Product Key from www.office.com/getkey.
If you purchased and downloaded Office online the Product Key should be on the confirmation page and/or email that was sent to you when you downloaded the software.
If you purchased a new computer with Office preloaded the manufacturer of your computer should have included either media or a Microsoft Product Identifier card in the box that has the Product Key. The Product Key is located on the Certificate of Authenticity.
I tried to get a backup copy but my Product Key was rejected. What do I do?
- If your Product Key is not accepted, verify that you have entered your Product Key correctly. If the system is still not able to validate your Product Key please contact us.
My product key is not working?
First, make sure you have the correct product key by retrieving your product key here.Verify that you’re entering the product key exactly as it is shown, including capitalization. If you are receiving an “Invalid Product Key” error, please view the resources here.If it is still not working please contact us.
What is activation and how do I get started?
- To use Office 2010 applications, you must activate the product within the first 30 days after installation. You will have the option to activate the software either over the Internet or by telephone. To activate online, follow the instructions in the Activation Wizard that you are prompted with when opening an Application (like Word, Excel, etc.). Microsoft Product Activation is a Microsoft anti-piracy technology designed to verify that software products are legitimately licensed. The Product Key provided is unique to each install and cannot be used to activate installs not permitted by the software license.
Activations are the number of different PCs that you may use this software on.
- Single Activation (only available on new PCs preloaded with Microsoft Office 2010) – Customers who bought a new PC are eligible to purchase a single activation license for any Office 2010 Suite. This single activation product is licensed for installation on the new Office 2010 preloaded PC only. The license cannot be transferred to another PC.
- Multi Activation – Microsoft Office Home and Student is licensed for installation on up to 3 PCs in one household. Not for use in any commercial, nonprofit, or revenue generating business activities, or by any government organization. Office Home and Business 2010 and Office Professional 2010 are licensed for installation by 1 User on 1 PC and for use on the licensed user’s portable device.
How do I activate my Microsoft Office programs at a later time?
- If you don't want to activate your copy of the software when you install it, you can activate it later. Open any Microsoft Office 2010 program and do the following: Click the File Tab and then click Help. Next to the product name is a button labeled either “Licensing Operations” or “Activate Product”. Clicking “Licensing Operations” pulls down a menu that contains “Activate Product”. Click “Activate Product”. Then, follow the instructions in the Activation Wizard.
What is the Windows Live ID and why is it needed for login?
- Windows Live ID is our method of uniquely identifying you. When you create a Windows Live ID and password, only you can access information about you that Microsoft stores, such as your order history. The Windows Live ID is based on your e-mail address, which we use to send you communication about the services or products you’ve obtained from Microsoft. Here is a link to the Microsoft Online Privacy statement with more information on the Windows Live ID: http://privacy.microsoft.com
My Windows Live ID is not working, who do I contact for help?
- If you cannot access your Windows Live ID please verify your username and password. If you still cannot access your account, contact Microsoft customer support .
How do I know my order is successful?
- You will see a Thank You/Download page that confirms your order and provides you with the download links, product keys, and relevant order information. You will also receive a confirmation e-mail to the e-mail address provided during the Windows Live ID log in process that includes your order information. You may also access your order history through the My Account console.
I never received my order confirmation email. Why?
- If you do not receive a confirmation email, please check your spam, bulk, or junk mail folders. If you find the email there, your Internet Service Provider or software spam-blocker or filters are diverting the confirmation email. You can also retrieve the content of the e-mail by using the Order History link on the store where you made the purchase from. Click here to access your Account (you will need your user ID and password to log in to Windows Live ID).
Note: Some pop up blocker and firewall programs, as well as Proxy servers, may prevent communication with our server. If you utilize these types of applications, you may need to disable them.
How many computers can I install the software on?
- The number of computers software can be installed on is managed by the number of activations allowed, which is outlined in the product activation section.
What should I do if my order is tax exempt?
- Tax exempt orders are processed through customer service after the order is placed. Once the order is placed, please contact us and request a refund for the tax paid. Customer service will contact you to verify your tax exempt status and refund the tax paid.
What payment methods do you accept?
- We accept Visa, MasterCard/EuroCard, Discover, American Express, Diner's Club, JCB, and check cards or ATM cards, so long as they are connected with one of the major credit card companies listed above.
You can safely enter your entire credit card number via our secure server, which encrypts all submitted information.
When will my credit card be charged?
- If you have purchased downloadable products your credit card will be charged the day after your purchase has been placed.
If you have ordered physical products we don't think you should pay for your order until it is actually on its way. We will not bill you until your product(s), including backordered or preordered items, are actually shipped. If your items are shipped separately you will be billed each time an item is shipped.
What address should I enter in the billing information screen?
- For credit card verification, you must enter the address exactly as it appears on your credit card statement. You do not need to enter a middle name or initial.
How will the charge show up on my credit card?
- The charge will appear on your credit card as: DRI* Microsoft Office
I need a copy of my invoice/receipt.
From the Order History page click the number of the order, in the Order Invoice column
To View your Invoice click the link to Order History
Should I put spaces or dashes in the credit card number?
- No. Your card number should be entered in as a continuous string of numbers.
Why are you not accepting my credit card?
- There are many reasons for a failed credit card transaction. Your card may have expired or reached its limit or a credit card computer, either on our end or your bank's end, may have encountered a machine error. If you do have problems, you can contact us and provide any error message numbers you may have received, as well as the order number from the shopping cart.
Back Up Media
How do I know if I have the option to purchase a backup disc?
- Purchase of a backup disc is available for select languages and markets. If the backup disc purchase option appears in your shopping cart during the redemption process, you are able to purchase a backup disc. If it does not appear, you will be able to download Office 2010, but will not be able to purchase a backup disc.
Why should I purchase back up media?
- If you are having trouble downloading due to Internet connection or computer settings, a physical disc may be the best solution for installing the software. The physical disc can be stored for re-installation in the future. Please note that you can access your order history at any time after your purchase to re-download the bits.
How do I order a backup DVD for my Microsoft Office product?
- To order a backup DVD from this site follow the same steps as downloading the software. Please allow 3-4 weeks for delivery.
When will I receive my back-up media?
- If you purchased back-up media, please allow 3-4 weeks to receive it depending on your location. You can download the software at any time.
Can I add back up media to my order?
- You can return to this store at any time to purchase Backup DVDs or additional products by viewing your Order History in the My Account console.
Do I have to pay customs fees?
- Custom and tariff fees may apply according to your country's import laws. These fees are not collected by this company, and this company does not have control of these fees.
When will my backorder ship?
- If the product is in inventory, it will ship within 1-2 weeks. Although we try to maintain inventory of all products in the warehouse, occasionally an item will be backordered. Normally, the product will become available in a few days. You will receive e-mail notification as soon as the product ships. Your credit card will not be charged until your order has been shipped.
Can I change my shipping address?
- Unfortunately, you cannot change your shipping address after your order has been submitted. The order is immediately sent to the fulfillment agency and can no longer be changed by our system. If your package is not successfully delivered, it will be returned to the warehouse.
Will I get shipping charges on top of my purchase?
- If an expedited shipping option was presented to you and selected, yes, shipping charges and applicable shipping taxes will be added to the value of your order on the confirmation page before you complete your purchase.
What is your refund policy?
- If you order a backup DVD there is no refund available.
How do I cancel my order?
- Once an order for a DVD has been placed it cannot be cancelled.
Back to Top
Who do I contact for support with Office 2010?
- For DVD online store purchases, downloads, or Product Key questions, please contact us (Microsoft Online ESD Support).
- For technical assistance, including software installation, product activation, or product use, please contact Microsoft.
What self-help resources are available?
- Instructions on how to install, activate, and more, can be found online.
Do I have to pay for support?
For questions regarding your order, download, or product key, the support is free.
For technical assistance, varying fees may apply.
How do I use Microsoft Office 2010?
- There are several great resources and tutorials posted here.